Adjustable Rate Mortgage
Home – Adjustable Rate Mortgage
An Adjustable Rate Mortgage, or ARM, can be a powerful tool for homeowners. An ARM is a mortgage that offers a low introductory fixed rate term, typically for 5, 7, or 10 years. After this period is over, the adjustable period follows for the remainder of the 30 year term. During this adjustment period the interest rates can adjust up or down, depending on the financial index it is attached to.
During the initial fixed period, the interest rates on an ARM are generally lower than with a 30 year fixed. This means lower monthly payments for those first 5, 7, or 10 years. If you plan on selling or refinancing your home in 5-7 years, the ARM is a great option for lowering your rate and payments during that introductory fixed period.
- Lower interest rates and payments early in the life of the loan
- Mortgage payments and interest rates remain fixed for introductory period
- Caps on interest limit the amount a rate can rise annually and over the life of the loan
- Big Benefits For Short Term Goals
- Lenders are able to offer lower interest rates on an ARM because they only have to guarantee that rate for the introductory fixed period. Luckily, the average American refinances or moves every 5-7 years, which just happens to be the same fixed period on an ARM.
For that period of time, you can benefit from lower interest rates and monthly payments compared to a 30-year fixed
- Save money each month with lower mortgage rates/ payment
- Possibly qualify for a higher loan amount and afford more home
- Pay off your principal balance faster by making additional payments each month
The bottom line is that an ARM can be a powerful tool to get you the lowest possible interest rates and monthly payments for a set period of time. This option is not right for everyone, but if you plan on moving or refinancing in the next 5 to 7 years, an ARM could be an ideal loan for you.
At Ascent Home Loans, our loan experts can help you to determine if an ARM is the best fit for your financial goals.